Thursday, July 23, 2009

More Cheap Eats from the Garden ....

tilapia cookingImage by sweet mustache via Flickr

Michael wanted me to post the recipes for the meal I created this evening, since he enjoyed it so much. It was simple and easy, and cost very little -- my estimate was around $7.50 for the entire meal. Since seeing the movie "Food Inc." last week I have tried to make a conscious effort to eat less processed meats and more fish (at least until I discover that the commercial fish industry is just as bad as the meat industry!!).

Here's what was on the menu:
  • Pan-seared Tilapia with Cajun spices;
  • Garlic & Parsley Red Potatoes; and
  • Tomato Salad with Red Onion and Basil.
Tilapia
I found Tilapia (previously frozen) on sale at Walmart for $4.68/lb. The package I bought cost $5.04. I rubbed in some Cajun seasoning and Old Bay seasoning and let it sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature. I then added a bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or as Racheal Ray says, "EVOO") to a cast iron skillet and sauteed the fish for about 3-4 minutes per side. I put it on a serving platter and squeezed some fresh lemon on top. Total Cost: about $5.50.

Potatoes
I still had some small red potatoes left over from our potato harvest about a month ago. I boiled about a pound in some water to which I added about a teaspoon of salt and 2 cloves of smashed garlic. I cooked them until just tender (about 15 minutes) then drained them, added about a tablespoon of margarine and topped them with some chopped fresh parsley from the garden. Total Cost: since most of the ingredients came from the garden (except the margarine), I estimate about $1.00.

Tomato Salad
I sliced up three tomatoes that we picked this afternoon. I then sliced a red onion, also from the garden (picked about 3 weeks ago and cured). To the tomatoes and onion, I added about a tablespoon of EVOO, a splash of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper, and gently mixed it all together. I garnished the salad with about 1/4 cup of fresh chopped basil leaves. Total Cost: since most of the ingredients cam from the garden, I estimate about $1.00.

There it is, a great-tasting, healthy meal for about $7.50 -- maybe $8.00 -- for two people -- That's $3.75-$4.00 per person. It's amazing how much we are saving by having our own garden!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment