Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bishop's Luncheon on Pentecost (Whittsunday)

Michael and I had the privilege of being received into the Episcopal Church this morning at our church, St. Andrew's in Canton. Our presiding bishop (Porter Taylor) was sick so the service was conducted by retired Bishop Bob Johnson. The service was beautiful and meaningful. There was quite a turnout, and a huge luncheon afterwards. I was asked to bring a finger food, so I decided to do some tea sandwiches. They turned out very tasty, but the next time I make them I will use a different bread (I used the cocktail bread which was very dry). Here is my recipe:

Pesto Tea Sandwiches

1 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup pesto (I used Alessi brand)
1/2 lb. provolone cheese, thinly sliced
1 head Romaine lettuce (or any type of tender green lettuce except iceberg)
1 loaf thinly-sliced white bread

Mix the mayonnaise and pesto together the night before making the sandwiches so the flavors can blend. To assemble the sandwiches, first trim the crusts off the bread. Spread a piece with a generous amount of the mayonnaise, add a slice of cheese and a lettuce leaf, top with another piece of bread spread with mayonnaise, and cut the sandwich into either halves of quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment