Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pumpkin Crunch Cake

This is a recipe my sister Fran posted on her Facebook page. It took me awhile to make it, but being cooped up in the house during the "Great Winter Storm of '09" inspired me to do some baking.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this recipe was how high in calories it was, so I made a few changes, reducing the fat and sugar content. The cake, which has a kind of custardy bottom and a crunchy top, turned out delicious - even with my attempts to lighten it up. Don't get me wrong, it still is very rich with a lot of calories (I don't even want to guess how many!), but it is heavenly. It called for whipped cream to top it but believe me, it doesn't need it. Here are the directions:

2 c. pumpkin puree
1 (12 oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk
4 eggs
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. Splenda baking substitute
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. salt
1 (18.25 oz.) package yellow cake mix
1 c. chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1/2 c. melted margarine
whipped cream (optional)

Directions- preheat oven to 350 F
Lightly grease one 9 x 13 baking pan

Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
Mix well and spread into prepared pan

Sprinkle yellow cake mix over top of pumpkin mixture and pat down. Sprinkle chopped pecans
over the top of the cake mix then drizzle the melted margarine all over the top.

Bake at 350 for about 1 hr. but no longer than 1 hr. 20 min. (insert a knife in the center, it should come out clean).
Top cooled cake with whipped cream when ready to serve, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment